Managing oily skin can be a bit tricky, but there are several skincare ingredients that can help control excess oil production and maintain a healthy complexion. My skin is often on the oilier side and so I have to make an effort to choose skincare products that contain ingredients that are better suited to tackling oiliness. Here are some of the best skincare ingredients for oily skin:
This beta-hydroxy acid (BHA) is excellent for oily skin because it penetrates the pores, exfoliates dead skin cells, and helps to unclog and minimise their appearance. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, which can reduce redness and irritation.
Salicylic Acid Skincare Recommendations
- COSRX Salicylic Acid Daily Gentle Cleanser
- be the skin BHA+ Pore Zero Serum
- Isntree Chestnut BHA 0.9% Clear Toner
- SOME BY MI AHA, BHA, PHA 30 Days Miracle Cream
Niacinamide (Vitamin B3)
Niacinamide helps regulate sebum production, reduces inflammation, and minimises the appearance of pores. It also has brightening benefits and can help to clear up darker spots left over from blemishes. Whenever I get a blemish I pop on some niacinamide and it helps to clear up my skin quicker and without leaving too much of a mark.
Niacinamide Skincare Recommendations
- Mary & May Niacinamide + Chaenomeles Sinensis Serum
- The Ordinary Niacinamide 10%
- Typology Unifying Serum – 12% Niacinamide
- Facetheory Porebright Serum N10
Tea Tree Oil
This essential oil has antimicrobial properties and can help combat acne-causing bacteria. It helps to reduce oiliness in oily skin and unclog pores. Its anti-inflammatory properties help relieve itchy skin, reduce inflammation and heal infection.
Tea Tree Oil Skincare Recommendations
- Dr Jart Teatreement
- IUNIK Tea Tree Relief Serum
- SOME BY MI AHA, BHA, PHA 30 Days Miracle Serum
- Mary & May Vegan Cica Tea Tree Blemish Toner
An alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA), glycolic acid is effective in exfoliating the skin’s surface, promoting cell turnover, and improving overall texture and tone. It can also help with oil control.
Glycolic Acid Skincare Recommendations
- Pixi Glow Tonic
- Sunday Riley Good Genes Glycolic Acid Treatment
- Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix
- Murad Vita-C Glycolic Brightening Serum
Although not an oil-controlling ingredient, hyaluronic acid is great for oily skin because it provides hydration without clogging pores. It helps maintain the skin’s moisture balance.
Sometimes people with oily skin cause themselves more of a problem by withholding moisturising products from their routine out of fear it will make their skin oilier. The reality is, if you don’t hydrate, your skin will overcompensate and only become more oily. Therefore, it’s so important to keep some hydrating ingredients in your routine.
Hyaluronic Acid Skincare Recommendations
- Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Aqua Gel Cream
- Mary & May Low pH Hyaluronic Gel Cleanser
- JUMISO Waterfull Hyaluronic Cream
- Torriden DIVE-IN Low Molecular Hyaluronic Acid Soothing Cream
Kaolin Clay or Bentonite Clay
Clay masks, such as kaolin or bentonite, can absorb excess oil and help clear out impurities from the pores. Use them once or twice a week.
Clay Mask Skincare Recommendations
- Isntree Mugwort Calming Clay Mask
- heimish All Clean Pink Clay Purifying Wash Off Mask
- Purito Bentolin Pore Clay Mask
- Mary & May Cica Tea Tree Soothing Wash Off Pack
Retinol (Vitamin A)
Retinol can help regulate oil production and improve skin texture. It’s also effective in preventing and treating acne.
Remember that everyone’s skin is different, so it’s essential to pay attention to how your skin responds to these ingredients. Additionally, consistency is key in achieving the best results with skincare products.
Retinol Skincare Recommendations
- Eve Lom Radiance Repair Retinol Serum
- Versed Gentle Retinol Serum
- The Ordinary Retinol 1% in Squalane
- Benton Bakuchiol Serum