Niacinamide, also known as vitamin B3, is a versatile and effective ingredient in skincare. It offers a wide range of benefits for various skin types and concerns, making it a popular choice for many. Here’s a comprehensive guide to using niacinamide in your skincare routine.
The Benefits of Niacinamide of Skin
Niacinamide offers several benefits for your skin:
- Improves Skin Barrier – Niacinamide helps strengthen the skin’s barrier function, which is essential for maintaining healthy, hydrated skin.
- Reduces Redness and Inflammation – It can soothe redness and inflammation, making it suitable for sensitive and acne-prone skin.
- Minimises Pores – Niacinamide can help reduce the appearance of enlarged pores.
- Controls Oil Production – It regulates sebum production, making it beneficial for people with oily or combination skin.
- Evens Skin Tone – Niacinamide can fade dark spots, hyperpigmentation, and even out skin tone.
- Minimises fine lines and wrinkles – Reduces signs of aging through hydrating skin.
Choose the Right Niacinamide Skincare Products
Look for products that contain niacinamide as an active ingredient. Niacinamide can be found in a variety of skincare products, such as serums, moisturisers, and even cleansers. For the most targeted results, using a niacinamide serum can be a great way to get the best benefits from this ingredient. Some of my favourite niacinamide serums include:
- The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%
- Mary & May Niacinamide + Chaenomeles Sinensis Serum
- Beautaniq Beauty Raindrench Serum
- Typology Niacinamide 12%
- Tiam Vita B3 Source
- The Inkey List Niacinamide
How to Use Niacinamide Serums In Your Skincare Routine
Your niacinamide serum should come after cleansing and toning your skin, and before applying a moisturiser. You can apply it to your whole face or apply it in a more targeted way to problem areas.
Results from skincare products, including niacinamide, may not be immediate. It may take several weeks of consistent use to see noticeable improvements. You should hopefully see results from niacinamide after 2-4 weeks of using twice a day. You’ll then need to keep using it to see the benefits continue for your skin.
Can You Use Niacinamide With Other Active Ingredients?
It is safe to use niacinamide with any other skincare ingredients – even if it’s AHAs, BHAs, Retinol or Vitamin C.
- Can you use retinol and niacinamide together? Yes, together they will help to even skin tone and reduce the appearance of pores.
- Can you use vitamin C and niacinamide together? Yes, together they will help to even the texture and tone of your skin.
- Can you use hyaluronic acid and niacinamide together? Yes, together they will hydrate and plump skin.
- Can you use AHA/BHA and niacinamide together? Yes, together they will smooth and refine skin.
In the event that you do experience mild irritation when using these together, you can try alternating using these ingredients in the morning and evening. For example you could use Vitamin C in your morning routine and niacinamide in the evening routine. Or niacinamide in the morning and retinol in the evening.
How Often Can You Use Niacinamide?
You can use niacinamide daily in your skincare routine. It’s gentle and suitable for both morning and evening application.
Niacinamide is a versatile and beneficial ingredient in skincare that can address various skin concerns. When used correctly and consistently, it can help you achieve healthier, more radiant skin.