If hydrated, plumped and glowy skin is what you’re after, then the 7 skin method could be just the thing for you!
Here I’ll share what the seven skin method is and how to do it.
What is the 7 Skin Method?
The 7 skin method involves layering toner onto the face to hydrate it. The goal is to reach 7 layers of toner, and in Korea toner is referred to as ‘skin’, hence the name.
While seven layers is the goal, you can do anywhere between three and seven toner layers for this process. Many people opt to build their way up to seven layers, starting off with less and gradually introducing more toner layering into their routine.
The 7 skin method can be done by all skin types.
Benefits of the 7 Skin Method
You might be thinking, why bother applying seven layers of a product, surely that takes a lot of time?
The 7 skin method is ideal for getting your skin proper hydration. When you apply a normal layer of toner or essence on your skin, it might evaporate before it fully absorbs, or it might sit heavy on the skin without sinking in properly.
With the 7 skin method, you apply lighter layers of toner, giving them a better chance of being absorbed by the skin to give you a proper hydration boost.
Because you’re using less toner with each layer of the 7 skin method than you would when applying one big layer of toner, it takes less time to sink in, so you’d be surprised that the method doesn’t have to take up that much time.
How to do the 7 Skin Method
- Cleanse your face and pat with a towel until only damp.
- Apply a light layer of toner to your face using a cotton pad and allow it to absorb.
- While your skin is still slightly damp, pour the same amount of toner into your hands and pat it onto your skin.
- Continue this up to 7 layers of toner. Leave about 30-60 seconds between layers to let it absorb but not dry out.
- After the 7th layer you can apply serum or use a moisturiser.
How Often Should You Do the 7 Skin Method?
This is partly up to you and the hydration your skin needs. It’s possible to do this every day if you want, although most people will only do it weekly. Personally, I do this every 2-3 days as my skin needs more hydration and I love the healthy glow the 7 skin method gives me.
What Toner to Use for the 7 Skin Method?
As we’re aiming for hydration and applying multiple layers, you want a really gentle toner that doesn’t contain alcohol, fragrances, and exfoliating or cleansing properties, as these can be irritating.
What we’re looking for in a 7 skin toner:
- Light, watery texture that absorbs well.
- Aimed at moisturising skin (avoid ones with different benefits, e.g. pore reduction, lightening).
- Decent bottle size, as slightly more product is being used.
What we want to avoid in a 7 skin toner:
- Alcohol – this dries out skin.
- Acids and Exfoliants – we’re using more product, so this can make skin too sensitive.
- Essential Oils – may cause sensitivities.
- High percentage of citrus extracts – can cause sensitivity.
Best Toners for 7 Skin Method
Beauty Papier Daisy Toner
This is my go-to for the 7 skin method. The toner is gentle and plant-based, inspired by traditional herbal medicine. It is alcohol free and aims to gently purify, tone, hydrate and soften skin. It has a really lovely texture that makes it perfect for layering up.
Dear Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner
One of the most popular Kbeauty choices, the Dear Klairs toner offers amazing hydration while retaining the pH balance of the skin. It has a light texture that absorbs quickly and also offers soothing benefits.
Neogen Real Ferment Micro Essence
If you’d rather use an essence than a toner, then the Neogen Real Ferment Micro Essence is ideal – it’s got a watery consistency and is super hydrating.
It adds a healthy glow, as well as providing great antioxidants and nutrients to your skin.
Getting the 7 Skin Method Right
As with every new skincare process, there are things to keep in mind to make sure you’re getting things right:
- Only use a cotton pad for the first layer – cotton pads can be slightly abrasive / exfoliating, so use your hands to pat in the remaining layers.
- Choose a toner that suits your skin type and doesn’t include alcohol or exfoliating acids.
- Apply a new layer around every minute – you don’t need to wait too long, the previous layer does not need to dry out.
- Stop when your skin needs – you don’t have to apply all seven layers if your skin isn’t liking it. Find out what your skin likes and stop when you need to!
- Exfoliate regularly – if your skin is clogged with dead cells, then it will become more difficult for the toner to be absorbed.
- Moisturise when done – seal in the hydration you’ve gained through the 7 skin method by using a moisturiser afterwards.
I hope this helps you to get started with the 7 skin method! Let me know which toner you find best for the method!